The Sermon on the Mount is the first workbook in our discipleship series. Structured around the Know-Be-Do approach to personal development our discipleship process seeks to be Biblically grounded and geared toward the whole person. Addressing the areas of Character formation (Heart – Being – Character), Biblical formation (Head – Know – Creed), and Ministry formation (Hands – Do – Competency) the Discipleship Series is a yearlong study (divided into 4 quarters and books) designed to shape us into the image of Christ.
Discipleship groups can be started anytime and in multiple formats. There are presently groups meeting on Thursday and Saturday mornings. You can pick up a copy of the manual from the church office or just follow the links below to PDF files for each lesson and resources. The lessons are designed to do on your own first, then to share with someone else – either a partner or a group. Plans are in the works to host groups via Google + Huddle Groups, and possibly in video format for use with groups guided by a staff person via video.
Here is the outline for the yearlong discipleship process (click on live links for the material in PDF format)
The Discipleship Process at Olive Grove ChurchStage 1: Following Jesus: The Sermon on the Mount Stage 2: Following Jesus: Spiritual Growth Basics Stage 3: Following Jesus: Spiritual Growth Dynamics Stage 4: Following Jesus: Honing our Character, Creed, Competence
Following Jesus: The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7)
Session 1: The Beatitudes 5:1-12
Session 2: Salt, Light, the nature of Righteousness 5:13-20
Session 3: Relationships: Murder, Adultery, Divorce 5:21-32
Session 4: Relationships: Vows, Retaliation, Love & Hate 5:33-48
Session 5: Giving & Prayer 6:1-15
Session 6: Fasting 6:16-24
Session 7: Anxiety (Security) 6:25-34
Session 8: Judging & Prayer 7:1-12
Session 9: Gates & Fruit 7:13-20
Session 10: Action, Obedience, Authority 7:21-29
Session 11: The Nature of Discipleship: Submission
Session 12: The Nature of Discipleship: Multiplication
Following Jesus: Spiritual Growth Basics (Galatians)
Session 1: Galatians 5:16-25 Walk by the Spirit
Session 2: Galatians 5:16-25 The Tree Diagram: Bearing Fruit
Session 3: The Tree Diagram: Seeds Overview
Session 4: The Tree Diagram: Faith/Believing
Session 5: The Tree Diagram: Identity in Christ
Session 6: The Tree Diagram: Purpose
Session 7: The Tree Diagram: Gratitude
Session 8: John 15
Session 9: OT Imagery regarding the Believer as a Tree
Session 10: Caring for the soil (Proverbs)
Session 11: Conviction
Session 12: Conviction and Confidence
Following Jesus: Spiritual Growth Dynamics (Ephesians)
Session 1: Overview, Coaching Questions, The Health Paradigm
The Foundation: Biblical Mindset (Philosophical)
Session 2: Words that Define Spiritual Maturity
Session 3: The Mind and the Bible
Session 4: Growth and the Bible
Session 5: Worldview
The Plan (Practical)
Session 6: Inventory
Session 7: Gifts
Session 8: Mission: What is God calling me to do?
Session 9: Vision: What can I accomplish in my lifetime, if nothing was put in my way?
Implementation (Team, Environment, Community)
Session 10: Family Formation
Session 11: Church Involvement
Session 12: Who is my neighbor?
Following Jesus: Honing our Character, Creed, Competence (Pastorals)
- Creed: What is the content of our faith?
- Character: What is the expression of faith in life?
- Competency: What tools are necessary to express my giftedness?
- Creed: What do we believe about God?
- Character: Servant Leadership
- Competency: Spiritual Gifts Inventory
- Creed: What do we believe about Jesus Christ?
- Character: Humility & Submission
- Competency: My Personal Testimony & Sharing the Gospel
- Creed: What do we believe about the Holy Spirit?
- Character: Discipline
- Competency: Prayer
- Creed: What do we believe about Bible?
- Character: Integrity
- Competency: Effective Personal Bible Study
- Creed: What do we believe about Man?
- Character: Above Reproach
- Competency: Prioritizing, Goal setting & Delegation
- Creed: What do we believe about Salvation?
- Character: Temperate, prudent, respectable
- Competency: Motivation of self and others
- Creed: What do we believe about the Salvation?
- Character: Faithful, hospitable, teachable
- Competency: Balance & Boundaries
- Creed: What do we believe about the Church?
- Character: Spirit-filled, free from addiction
- Competency: Failure
- Creed: What do we believe about the Last Things? (Personal Eschatology)
- Character: Gentleness, meekness
- Competency: Problem Solving
- Creed: What do we believe about the Last Things? (General Eschatology)
- Character: ManagedCompetency: Team Building